If the 'Flame not lit' icon is lighting up on your HOTTAP V2
If your HOTTAP V2 is not turning on (i.e. not igniting), or keeps turning off randomly, and the 'Flame not lit' icon is showing up on the Help Monitor, find out what to do.
The HOTTAP V2 has a Help Monitor that can help diagnose possible faults, and troubleshoot them.
In this section we discuss the HOTTAP V2 gas requirements, and troubleshoot for the 'Flame not lit' icon.
|Watch the HOTTAP V2 Essentials - Overview & Set up Guide to confirm that you're set up correctly.|
- The HOTTAP V2 needs a stable supply of gas to operate (i.e. to heat water).
- Recommend at least 50% full gas bottle.
Flame not lit
What it means
The ‘Flame not lit’ icon means that there is no flame present. This can either mean that there is no gas flowing into the unit, or that wind has blown the flame out, or that the HOTTAP V2 has reached its safety temperature cutout.
How it triggers
This icon will trigger when the Flame Sensor does not register a flame.
How to troubleshoot
You do not need to press and hold the blue 'JOOLCA' button to troubleshoot this icon. This icon will turn on by itself.
How to fix this
My HOTTAP V2 is not turning on at all
The HOTTAP V2 will initially try to ignite for 5 seconds, and if it does not ignite the 'Flame not lit' icon will turn on.
This issue is related to gas supply.
- Make sure that your gas bottle is at least 50% full.
- Make sure your gas bottle is open 2 full turns.
- Make sure you are using the supplied gas hose and regulator directly with a compatible BBQ gas bottle (i.e. do not use adaptors with a smaller size gas canister).
- Remove the gas hose from the HOTTAP V2 unit and check inside the gas valve for a build up of gunk. Clean it out.
- If the above do not work, there may be an air-lock in the gas lines. To purge out the air, have your gas bottle 'Open' and disconnect the gas hose from the gas inlet. A little bit of gas will leak out as you disconnect but then it will stop flowing because the gas Quick Connect Fitting has a stop-valve fitted. Wait a few seconds and connect it again.
My HOTTAP V2 is on, but it turns off at random intervals
If the HOTTAP V2 is on and then turns off at random intervals (i.e. 30 second, 2 minutes then 1 minute), the 'Flame not lit' icon will also turn on.
If the HOTTAP V2 is turning off when it gets above 50°C/ 120°F, please refer to Overheating safety cutout.
Otherwise, the issue could be related to wind.
The HOTTAP V2 has a Flame Sensor and, as a safety feature, is designed to shut off gas supply when it notices there is no flame. Sometimes wind can push the flame away from the Flame Sensor, or it can stretch the flame upwards - in both cases making the HOTTAP V2 think there is no flame.
There are a few things we can do to remedy this:
- Relocate the HOTTAP V2 out of the line of wind. Even a short burst of wind can move the flame away for long enough to initiate the safety shut off.
- Blocking the side ventilation holes can help to reduce the wind effects. We have tested the unit and it does not hinder the performance in any way by blocking this vents totally (we used aluminium tape).